Someone asked me recently how to care for combination hair– with oily scalp and dry ends. Should it be washed more or less often? What about oil and oily masks?
First of all, you should know that greasy scalp and dry, matte length is a really common problem, especially if the hair was coloured or bleached in the past.
My tips can look a little complicated, but when you make them your routine, it’s gonna be super-easy.
- Oil is always a friend of hair, not an enemy, although in that case it should only be used on the length and ends of hair, not on the scalp. Coconut oil or shea butter are not the greatest choices in the beginning because they are good for hair with lower porosity. If your hair is damaged and dry, those oils will probably make it more frizzy. Try with olive oil, walnut, linseed or almond oil first.
- You can wash your hair as often as your roots need it. Your shampoo could be a little stronger than I usually recommend, but it shouldn’t contain oils and silicones. Basically, these ingredients build up on hair and can make it more greasy. Silicones will also stick to hair and block it against conditioner’s benefits. What do I mean by stronger shampoo? It’s a product that contains one of the detergents with SULPHATE in the end, for example:
– Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS),
– Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES),
– Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ALS)
- OK, but as you know, these ingredients can make your hair even more dry and brittle. There is an advice for that issue as well:) Before washing hair with shampoo, apply any conditioner onto the length (it will protect your ends against shampoo’s detergents). So the method is simple:
1.CONDITIONER- 2.SHAMPOO- 3.CONDITIONER
(number 3- again only for length and ends). The last conditioner could be really rich (it should contain emollients and moisturising ingredients).
- Remember to only use warm but not hot water for washing hair, it could even be cool for the last rinsing.
- It’s also important not to keep a towel on the head for a long time after washing- otherwise, it can increase sebum production by the scalp.
- Always protect your ends with a drop of silicone serum.
These are just a few things, but I believe they will help! The method I mentioned (1.CONDITIONER, 2.SHAMPOO, 3.CONDITIONER) is good not only for combination hair, everybody can follow it. I DO! :).